Bourton House Garden
Garden with the area of 3 acres surrounds a beautiful mansion of the XVIII century. The space is replete with lush terraces and wide herbaceous borders with beautiful plants of different textures and color combinations. There are many clipped topiary shapes, which form the basis of a small regular garden, a ground floor and walking routes.
Beautiful Bourton House Garden
Bourton House Garden in Gloucestershire, Great Britain
There are also a few spring water bodies, including a pond implemented in form of a woven basket that has migrated into the garden with a World’s Fair, held in London’s Hyde Park in 1851.
You will also find a unique Shadow House, quiet White Garden and a lot of containers with plants. You can see beautiful views of the Cotswolds from walking trails of the XVIII century. The abundance of unusual, rare and exotic plants makes this garden delight for keen gardeners.
It is known that there was a village Bourton-on-the-Hill at the time of the Saxons. And at the end of the XVI century Bourton House mansion has appeared with a workshop, where the beer was brewed, stables and wagon-shop. The greenhouse-barn has a stone of 1570 with the initials of the former owner of the house, Richard Palmer. The house itself was rebuilt in 1598 by the eminent lawyer, Sir Nicholas Overbury.
At the beginning of the XVIII century the house in its original form was restored by Alexander Popham, the grandson of one of the generals of Cromwell. The house was torn down to its lower floors. Only fanciful towers remained intact. And the windows later were replaced with Georgian ones. This structure remained unchanged for over three hundred years. The land originally adjoined to the manor was sold in 1851 by Sir James Buller to the neighboring estate of Sezincote.
In 1953 the house and the land were sold at auction, and then, during 30 years, until 1983, there were six changes of owners, until the house was purchased by Pace spouses. They have put themselves to the task of turning an abandoned desert land into a beautiful oasis, surrounded by ancient stone buildings of the Cotswolds. Over the years, the garden has developed. The new owners implemented new ideas, overcame new challenges. The spouses were working with a great team of professional gardeners, initially led by Paul Williams, who in 1999 was succeeded by Paul Nicholls. He is still a head gardener.
First the Bourton House Garden was opened to the public on one single Sunday in 1987, as part of a program to support the National Garden Scheme. Twenty years later, the garden has received a prestigious HHA / Christie’s ‘Garden of the Year’ Award, as a tribute to all participants in its creation over the years. In addition, in 2013 the garden was awarded a silver award at the Cotswolds Tourism ‘Small Visitor Attraction of the Year’.
In 2010, the Bourton House Garden was acquired by new owners, but remains open for visits. The garden continues to delight its guests by inspiring plantings and beautiful color combinations.
Incoming search terms: