Peyron Villa Garden
Peyron Villa Garden also known as Fonte Lyuchente Forest (Bosco di Fonte Lucente), is located on the hillside of Fiesole, in the beautiful region of Tuscany, in the province of Florence. It is known that in the XIX century the villa was surrounded by forest on three sides, and this is reflected in its title – “Bosco” translates as forest from Italian.
Peyron Villa Garden in Tuscany
Peyron Villa Garden in Tuscany, province of Florence
On April 14, 1914 the villa was bought by a textile manufacturer and trader Angelo Peyron, who immediately began to work on the development and expansion of its territory. He invited the famous Italian architect Ugo Giovannozzi.
After the sudden death of Angelo Peyron in December 1919, the villa was inherited by his 8-year-old son Paolo Peyron (1911 – 2003), who wanted to live there, while the other children did not show any interest in the villa. Paolo was receiving a lot of offers to buy the estate, but on the advice of his guardian and godmother, Professor Ines Julia Zanaga, he was did not hurry to part with the family property. This noble, well-educated woman of Spanish descent took care of Paolo and taught him manners in upperclass society. In 1932, upon reaching adulthood, Paolo Peyron officially took possession of the villa, and in 1934 finally settled there. Because Paolo had great interest in the subjects of art and antiquities, like his father, he decided to engage seriously in their collecting.
During World War II, the villa was requisitioned by the authorities and served as a place of residence for the German command. Later it was occupied by the Allies, who placed there their military hospital. When Paolo Peyron received the estate back, it looked catastrophically: all ancient objects, which he carefully hid in an attempt to save, were destroyed or scattered in the garden. Paintings and gilded frames were hanging on the olive trees, the furniture was broken, and the unique, precious books from the library of his father, published before 1500, were lying on the ground in the open air, and were hopelessly spoiled by the rain.
The main purpose of Paolo Peyron became the return to the villa its original splendor, the restoration of the surviving works of art and enrichment of the ravaged collection.