DIY Tabletop Water Garden
Tabletop water gardens are an exciting way to experience nature in your home. Small gardens full of water-loving plants add serenity to any environment. Water garden tabletop versions are inexpensive to create and only require a few items easily purchased at any garden store. There are as many types of gardens as there are people who design them, so use your creativity to make a tranquil water garden for your home.
Easy DIY tabletop water garden
- Glass container (bowl or other wide-mouthed vase or vessel)
- Plastic pot that is shorter than your glass container
- Water plants (taro, water lettuce, fairy moss, or water hyacinth)
- River rocks, pebbles, or aquarium gravel
- Activated charcoal
- Pure water (rainwater or distilled water is best)
- Make sure the glass container and plastic pot are both clean and free of any residual dirt.
- Put your plant in the plastic pot, and then add some pebbles on top of the soil. These pebbles will weigh down the pot inside the water and keep the soil from floating out.
- Line the bottom of the glass container with the charcoal to absorb any unwanted odors. Cover the charcoal with river rocks, pebbles, or aquarium gravel, making sure the rocks are clean.
- Fill the glass container with water slowly, to avoid displacing the rocks. Lower the plastic pot into the water and nestle it into the bottom of the container.
- If necessary, add more rocks to the soil surface in the plastic pot to hold the pot down.
- Gently clean any floating bits of soil that have been dislodged.
If you need to dispose of any unwanted plants in the future, be aware that some water plants such as water hyacinth are extremely invasive and can be destructive to natural waterways. Never add them to any open body of water; instead, add them to your compost pile. Always do your homework when working with new or unusual plants, and use them appropriately for your project and environmental surroundings.
Incoming search terms:
- diy garden project water plant aquarium
- diy with unwanted Aquarium gravel
- tabletop water gardens